Saturday, November 8, 2014

Deputies of Silas Bent, 1807 - 1811

The following notations appear in the volume of Surveys by Silas Bent as Principal Deputy Surveyor at St. Louis, Missouri Territory during the years 1807 to 1811:
============================================================

Names of Deputy Surveyors who I am authorized to imploy in the Territory when necessary

Bartholomew Cousin

David Curtis

William Russell

Samuel Perry

Joseph Beatty

John McKinny

Daniel Sullivan

John C. Sullivan

Henry Elliot

M. Hight

John W. Thompson

These gentlemen are not commissioned by the Surveyor General but he has written to me that I might consider them Deputies whenever I found it necessary to imploy them.

Silas Bent

(Missouri State Land Survey microfiche location: 724/0529B3)
============================================================

District of St. Louis, Apr. 29th 1808

I John Harvey do solemnly swear in the presence of Almighty GOD that in all admeasurement and Surveys in which I shall be imployed as a Deputy Surveyor under the authority of the United States I will faithfully and impartially execute the trust reposed in me to the best of my skill and judgement. So help me GOD.

Jno. Harvey

Subscribed and sworn
before me
Silas Bent, Pr. Depy. Sr.


District of St. Louis, June 23d 1808

I David Curtis do solemnly swear in the presence of Almighty GOD that in all admeasurements and Surveys in which I shall be employed as a Deputy Surveyor under the authority of the United States I will faithfully and impartially execute the trust reposed in me to the best of my skill and judgment. So help me GOD.

David Curtis

subscribed and sworn
before me
Silas Bent
P. D. S.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

District of Saint Louis, July 23rd 1809

I Henry Elliot do solemnly swear that in all admeasurement and surveys in which I shall be imployed as a Deputy surveyor under the authority of the United States, I will faithfully and impartially execute the trust reposed in me to the best of my skill and judgement.

So help me God.

Henry Elliott

sworn before me Silas Bent


District of Saint Louis Oct. 25th 1811

I William Russell do solemnly swear that in all admeasurement and surveys in which I shall be imployed under the authority of the United States, I will faithfully and impartially execute the trust reposed in me according to the best of my skill and judgment.  So help me GOD.

Wm Russell

subscribed & sworn
before me
Silas Bent
P. D. Sr.

(Missouri State Land Survey microfiche location: 724/0529A2)


-------------------------------
Transcribed by Steven E. Weible